April 2, 2012

Tribeca Spotlight: 2 Days in New York


Film: 2 Days in New York

TFF Synopsis: Passionate French photographer Marion (Julie Delpy) and her hip radio host beau Mingus (Chris Rock) live a happily coupled life with their children in a homey New York City apartment. When Marion's eccentric French family descends upon the pair unannounced, the couple is catapulted into two days of escalating mayhem, misunderstandings, and culture clash. Between Marion's delightfully unhinged father (played gleefully by Delpy's real-life Dad, Albert), her sexually frank but juvenile sister, and her sister's boorish boyfriend (also Marion's ex), it will be all Mingus can do to stay sane while the in-laws are in town. 


Chris Rock starring in a French film is a juxtaposition. Which is probably why this is on my "Must See @ TFF" list. I love the idea. Obsessed with it, actually. Chris Rock has always struck me as a person who could take on projects with a bit more substance ( No,  I Think I Love My Wife does not count) so to see him branch out and tackle a film such as this is very exciting. He's rocking the Malcom X crossover hipster glasses and I pray with every fiber of my being that he does not go to his trademark  shtick which has a tendency to pop out ever so sudden. I loved 2 Days in Paris. Thought it was so fresh and witty and made me an instant fan of Julie Delpy. I'm hoping that the same air of humor stands with 2 Days in New York.

Dates and times for 2 Days in New York  for TFF:

Thu 4/26 9:30PM BMCC Tribeca PAC
Fri 4/27 9:00PM AMC Loews Village 7 - 1
Sat 4/28 12:00PM AMC Loews Village 7 - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment