April 30, 2012

Tribeca Run Down: Part 1 Shorts- Fallout

Last week, I had the distinct pleasure of seeing 2 screenings of shorts at the AMC Lowes 7 theater. The weather was absolutely terrible as we all waited in the line to get in. I hate NYC rain. Honestly, there is nothing worse. In Pennsylvania (my hometown) when it rained you knew that it was benefiting the beautiful trees, plants, and landscapes. Here, rain seems to fall with a heavy thud on the concrete ground, and the aggressive NY persona increases to total disdain when the one thing on everyone's mind is 'I need to get the hell out of here.'

So my mood was already bad when I arrived and all I wanted to do was get inside. I have to say the staff were really nice about getting us out of the rain. Extremely apologetic for the few minutes of delay and they hustled us in very quickly.

Shorts: Fallout

Originally, I had bought this ticket to  see the short All That Way For Love. I had heard good things about it and I wanted to check it out. The Fallout line up was great overall. My favorite had to be Easter Eggs directed by Slobodan Karajlovic. This is a story of a Communist family whose matriarch secretly celebrates Easter with their children while the father is off at work. The growing tension really drew the audience in and the conclusion was very powerful. The one I'm sure many didn't quite understand fully, was Chupachups directed by Ji-suk Kyung.  I had a tiny grasp on what was going on, but it was definitely one of those films were you have to put 2 and 2 together to understand the dynamics of the characters and their relationship. I have to give a huge shout out to Trotteur, directed by Arnaud Brisebois and Francis Leclerc, for its gorgeous cinematography. The Gothic, steam punk, visuals made the very brief story of a boy racing a locomotive breathtaking. Visually, it was so pleasing to the eye. Another, film that that caught the audiences attention was Foxes directed by Lorcan Finnegan. This is a suspenseful story about a couple who are driven a part by the presence of shrieking foxes (had no clue foxes shrieked) and how it turns their world upside down. Close to the end, you can sort of predict the final outcome, however, it still ends on a note that will leave you thoroughly creeped out. All That Way For Love was a stand out film about a young Irishman (played by Notes on a Scandal's Andrew Simpson) and a nomadic couple (Derek de Lint and Belinda Stewart-Wilson) who cross paths in a complicated love triangle. The most prominent stand out in the film was  the beautiful African scenery. There was such a mesmerizing authenticity about how Africa was showcased in this movie.
Some of the Fallout filmmakers




 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment