August 22, 2013

Argo Fuck Yo Self Bruce! Affleck Is Announced As The New Batman

"Now calm down, and don't hate on me just yet..."
The internet just exploded about an hour ago as The Wrap was the first to announce that actor, activist, director, former tabloid fodder, and Oscar winner, Ben Affleck would be taking over the coveted role of Bruce Wayne in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel sequel (which will have Batman facing off with Henry Cavill's Superman.)  It was an unexpected choice and I can't say I'm disappointed. I was never THAT invested in who would play the role, and frankly I'm glad that we can put the inane casting rumors to bed. Whether he will be a good successor to Christian Bale is left to be unsaid. I do love a surprise when it comes to casting, and it will intrigue me to see how this all plays out. First, I want to know how they decided on Affleck and how they got him to take on the role. It is an interesting move career-wise, and it can either go really good or REALLY badly. In my personal opinion I found the casting to be a bit uninspired. I was hoping for a dark horse, underdog of an actor to play the part and shock everyone. However, it's not a downright awful choice (compared to the names they were dropping as potential candidates.)

Secondly, I really want to know how Affleck will portray Bruce Wayne. I wouldn't mind if Affleck's Batman was funny and brought some levity to the role. The reason I'm saying this is because when acting alongside Cavill who is so stony and serious in his demeanor, we need his counterpart to bring some sort of charm to balance it out. Can you imagine if Christian Bale's Batman was with Cavill's Superman? Sure it would be an interesting watch, but it would be so melancholy and serious in tone. I'm not saying that Affleck needs to be a RDJ/ Tony Stark type who pulls out little quips every 2 seconds, but I think it would be nice if the Batman was a little playful and just messed with Cavill as the straight man of the pair.

I really am not mad by this choice. I think it's a little boring and safe on paper. However, I am very interested in how this will go. And ladies, you have to admit, this is a pretty hot duo.

"I'll still be the hottest one in tights....."

No comments:

Post a Comment